Prep time | 20 mins
Cook time | 22 mins
Total time | 42 mins
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Dessert, Snack
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 1.5 flax eggs (1 1/2 Tbsp (10.5 g) flax seed meal + 4 Tbsp (60 ml) water)
- 2 Tbsp (30 g) mashed ripe banana
- 3/4 cup (150 g) pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup (146 g) muscovado sugar*, packed (or sub organic brown sugar or coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (55 g) almond meal (ground from raw almonds)
- 3/4 cup (67 g) gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup (160 g) gluten-free flour blend
CRUMBLE TOP optional
- 3 Tbsp (40 g) muscovado sugar (or sub organic brown sugar, organic cane sugar, or coconut sugar)
- 3 1/2 Tbsp (35 g) gluten-free flour blend
- 2 Tbsp (13 g) roughly chopped pecans, pepitas, or walnuts
- 1 1/4 Tbsp (18 g) coconut oil
- Pinch each cinnamon + pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (174 C) and lightly grease a standard size muffin tin (will make 9-10 muffins). Dust with gluten free flour and shake out excess.
- Prepare flax egg in a large mixing bowl. Let set for 5 minutes.
- Add banana and mash, leaving just a bit of texture.
- Add pumpkin purée, muscovado sugar, maple syrup, olive oil, and vanilla extract and whisk for one minute.
- Stir in baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice, and mix. Add water and whisk once more.
- Add almond meal, gluten-free oats, and gluten-free flour blend and stir until just combined. The batter should be thick and scoopable.
- Divide batter evenly among 9-10 muffin tins, filling all the way full (I like big muffins!).
- Quickly rinse your mixing bowl and then add crumble ingredients. Mash ingredients together with a fork or your hands until crumbly like wet sand. Generously top muffins with streusel.
- Bake for 27-32 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a toothpick or knife comes out completely clean. It’s better to slightly over-bake these than under-bake because the gluten-free flour blend takes longer to cook all the way through.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tin, then gently remove and cool completely on a cooling rack. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- Once completely cooled, store in a covered container at room temp for 3-4 days, though best when fresh. Freeze for longer term storage.
*If you’re unfamiliar with muscovado sugar, read more about it here! You can also just sub organic brown sugar or coconut sugar (brown sugar being the best alternative).
*If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, use this DIY blend: 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground cloves.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 9 muffins with crumb topping.
Serving size: 1 muffin Calories: 329 Fat: 12.7 g Saturated fat: 3.1 g Carbohydrates: 52.6 g Sugar: 27 gSodium: 341 mg Fiber: 4.9 g Protein: 4.6 g