The benefits of goji berries are astoundingly broad – but if you know anything at all about this “longevity” food, they are not a new discovery. Goji berries – also known to some as wolfberries – have actually been cultivated in China for over 6,000 years and play a frequent role in Chinese medicine. Others stories also say that goji berries were also consumed by Buddhist monks, who believed that those who ate the berries lived longer than those who didn’t.
Today, goji berries are a popular ingredient in body and skin care and are often recommended for those who want to avoid the chronic signs of aging. Read below to answer the question: could goji berries be your anti-aging solution?
- Goji berries are nutrient dense. According to this article at Boku Super Food, these berries contain “more vitamin C than an orange, more beta carotene than carrots, and more iron than red meat.” The combination of these nutrients translates to big benefits for your body – your eyesight improves, your risk for heart disease is more limited and your skin is more protected.
- They even skin tone and reduce fine lines. Goji berries are high in vitamin C and amino acids, both of which help fade sun-spots, scars and smooth out your skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines.
- All natural sunscreen. Goji berries contain carotenoids, which are powerful antioxidants that fight free radicals, protecting skin against UV damage and the development of wrinkles.
- Improve hydration. Thirsty skin can benefit from the polysaccharides and (yet again) the amino acids provided by these versatile berries, which help skin hold on to moisture. Retain elasticity. Goji berries contain 11 minerals that help skin stay youthful, flexible, and taut.
- Treat acne. Finally, if you’re suffering from both acne and aging skin (not fair!), goji berries can help you fight of blemishes with their concentration of nicotinic acid.
For more in-depth explanations of why the goji berry is so effective at fighting most signs of aging, we recommend this well-written article at infocuriosity.com.
Interested in incorporating goji berries into your skincare routine in the meantime? Try out our Eye & Throat Facial Cream, which uses organic goji fruit extract alongside other organic ingredients to moisturize, tone and firm facial skin (particularly near the eye and throat areas).